Who knows better Howard County then the moving company that located in the heart of the county? That's right, Movers USA located right in Maryland Center of Population, Jessup MD, which is one of the major towns in Howard County, MD. With a population of nearly 300,000 people and prime location in the Washington-Baltimore-Arlington combined area, no wonder this prestige county is famous for its classy lifestyle, high quality living standards, best schools and educational institutions and is very popular among families to live in. With the best parks, fun places, high ambiance restaurants, beautiful hotels, mesmerizing localities and more, Howard County has been rated the second best place to live in the United States of America. The schools in Howard usually top all the academic tests and holds one of the highest graduation rates all over the US.
Known for its beauty and serenity, Howard County is also one of the most expensive destinations in the States. The real estate is very expensive with constantly rising prices for houses and apartments.
1. Moving Tips and Services
Moving to Howard County can be an amazing decision for you and your family. However, there are some very important tips to keep in mind before relocating to Howard County. They include:
- Since the place is notoriously popular for its exclusivity, it is important to decide the right locality that will fit your budget. Choose the right area, mode of transportation, academic institutions and take everything into consideration regarding your budget and income level.
- Organize yourself! Go through your home and make a list of what is being relocated. Taking inventory can help decided what you will keep and what you may dispose of or donate. It also helps to make a list of important tasks that have to be accomplished before and during a move.
- Consider holding a yard sale or donating some of your unwanted items and furniture. Some organizations will even arrange to pick up your unwanted items. Some moving companies may have a disposal service as well.
- One of the most important tasks will be securing a moving company. You’ll want to research and choose a professional company at least a month prior. A good company will be able to give you helpful advice about how to better prepare for the move.
- Choose a professional company that has experience in transporting furniture to ensure every precaution is taken to protect your belongings. At the time when the movers are at work in your home, make sure you keep an eye on your pets, if any, and small children. Removing most or all distractions or obstacles help your move progress faster and creates a safer environment for the movers. Try to arrange a babysitter or a play date for small children.
- The ideal weather in the city is during spring and autumn seasons. Therefore, it is highly recommended to move during spring or autumn to avoid the harshness of the weather.
- Start getting moving estimates about 5-6 weeks prior to move date.
- Determine other expenses related to moving and consider them in your budget.
- Start collecting boxes, if you need to pack. Make sure that if you are getting used boxes, you have inspected those used boxes for bugs and make sure they are completely dry.
- When shopping for a mover it is best to ask family or friends for a recommendation. If you are getting names online, it is important to research those movers with local agencies like better business bureau or the department of transportation.
- When you ask for moving estimates you should try and get the mover to come and visit and provide an in-home estimate. Most reputable moving companies would provide such estimate free of charge. Make sure that the estimate you get is in writing and you understand all charges and coverages.
2. Highways and public transport
Traffic is not a huge issue in Howard Country due to well organized infrastructure. This is great news for moving in and traveling within the county. The use of public transportation is also fairly common in the county. The Regional Transportation Agency located in the Central Maryland provides all the basic public transit to the county.
The infrastructure of the county is well maintained with two primary highways. The county does not have any specific airport facilities. All the air travel is made possible through the Baltimore International Airport and Washington Dulles International Airport.
When you are planning a move to Howard County, Maryland you need to take the weather into consideration. If you are planning to move on winter or summer check the weather in advance based on your zip code to avoid hush weather conditions. Weather forecast can be found online here.
The county is known for its humid and subtropical weather throughout the year. However, the winters can get cold and snowy, depending on each year. The annual rainfall is about 45 inches. It is recommended to move during spring and autumn season to avoid extreme weather conditions.
If you are moving during the winter, you will most likely get the cheaper rates of the year, but keep those tips in mind:
- Make sure you have heat sources, warm clothing, lights and hot drinks on hand.
- Clear the snow from walkways, the movers will be able to work quicker and in a safer manner when snow is clear.
- Check parking and driveway areas are clear of snow.
- Protect inside space.
- Keep salt and shovels on hand.
Moving to Howard County can have major benefits to anyone looking to better or continue their or their children’s education. The education system in the county is very systematic and well organized. The Howard County Public School System runs more than 70 schools and serves more than 50,000 students all over the county. Having exceptionally high standard of education, the schools are rated among the best in the state. The students enrolled in different schools in Howard County surpass all other students in the academic exams. The largest school in the county is the Howard High School with more than 1,700 students. You can find information about Howard County Public Schools here.
With exceptionally good schools, the county also has the best library systems present. The Howard County Library System was elected by Library Journal as the Library of the Year. It has been called the most advanced and systematic structure of how a modern library should be. Other libraries in the US and even other countries follow the systematic approach used for the development of Howard Library. The library has recently launched a new campaign known as “Choose Civility”. The project aims to increase empathy and tolerance within the region.
Howard Community College is a very professional community college present in Howard County. The college is popular for its large number of students and more than 100 degree programs. The academic divisions include arts and humanities, health, mathematics, computer sciences, social sciences, English linguistics and world languages, science and technology and many others.
If you are hiring a professional moving company, keep in mind that local moving companies do not required to obtain a license for local moves in Howard County. In order to check if your mover is registered with the state, you can visit the Maryland Motor Truck association and find the best moving companies in the state. Click the following link for a list of registered movers.
Maryland registered movers agree to:
- Abide by a Code of Ethics, so that customers will be assured that their movers have the highest standards.
- Follow general guidelines for dealing with customers and adhere to the program's Statement of Policy.
- Agree to a system for arbitrating disputes between movers and customers, so that customers will be assured of a timely resolution of any complaint without the need for costly and time consuming litigation.
- Furnish copies of their moving contracts, warehouse receipts and storage orders to the Registered Mover Committee for review so that the Committee may verify that the documents meet the standards of the RMP.
When making your move you will notice how well maintained the city is. A county council is appointed after every five years. The current County Executive of Howard is Allan H. Kittleman. Howard County Government is grouped in 12 different subdivisions. Each subdivision is further divided into bureaus and offices. They are all monitored by the same government but have distinct level of independence in decision making. The county government funds all the divisions for performing their relevant functions.
The different departments the government works for include finance, health, fire and rescue, housing and community development, planning and zoning, economic development authority, technology and communication services, inspection license and permits, recreation and parks and many others. The government is responsible for managing the infrastructure, state owned buildings, educational standards and overall maintenance of different bodies in the county.
6. Cities / metro areas
Once settled, there is so much do in the area. A beautiful island surrounds the county on the upper part of the Chesapeake Bay with the best shipping, industries and transportation facilities available. The downtown area of the county is field with historical buildings and cultural arts. Waterfront near the historical downtown is ideal for leisure and fun water related activities.
Some of the very famous and expensive localities in Howard County include Glenwood, Glenelg, Clarksville, West Friendship and Dayton. These communities are also known for their best paying jobs. The other communities in the county include:
- Ellicott City, it is also the county seat
- North Laurel
The unincorporated communities in Howard County include:
7. Cost of living
When moving to Howard county, the higher cost of living may be important to take into consideration. One of the most expensive counties in the United State, the cost of living in Howard County is much higher than the national average. It is among the highest five average household income in the United States. The average median household income exceeds $103,000.
With significantly higher cost of living rates, the place is also notoriously popular for being a very competitive job market. A range of very skilled labor is available in the county which makes getting a job very tough and generates serious competition.
The education system in Howard County is one of the best in the entire US, enticing families to move into the area and stay. The students of Howard County are constantly ranking above the rest of the states in the US. The total number of schools is 76 with 41 elementary schools, 12 high schools, 20 middle school and 3 special education centers. The total number of students enrolled is 52,000. The schools in Howard County also offer psychological, individual and group counseling to their students.
For a complete list of Howard County Schools, click here.
The performance of students is well recognized all over the States. The students of Howard County get highest percentage in all the levels of the Maryland School Assessment tests. Some of the famous schools include:
- Long Reach High School
- Atholton High School
- Hammond High School
- Hebron High School
- Reservoir High School
- River Hill High School
- Glenelg High School
9. Media outlets
There is SO much to do in Howard County! Before your move, you’ll want to check what events may be coming up. Howard County is a very active place to live with many things constantly happening in the area. It is of vital importance to follow a reliable source of information to stay updated. One of the most widely read newspaper is the Howard County Times.
The Howard County Times
The Howard County Times is a publication by the Baltimore Sun Media Group. More than 14,000 copies are delivered to a diverse population every Thursday. The readers include young successful couples, retired professionals, grad students and many others belonging to different backgrounds. The newspaper covers important national and international events, world news, health, entertainment, sports, finance and much more.
10. About Movers USA
The process of relocation can be very stressful and tiring. Many people do not entertain the idea of moving just because of the hassle it can bring in. It is of vital importance to choose a right plan, stick to it and realize the process in a systematic way. This plan can be very easy and straight forward if you are choosing the right moving company. Movers USA, professional Moving company, located in the heart of Howard County, MD, is the right choice to perform any move, small or big, locally or long-distance.
Relocating from one city to another can prove to be a hassle, let alone out of state moving. The most important thing to be taken into consideration when relocating is to search for reputable, reliable moving company and to avoid rough movers.
Movers USA has more than 30 years of professional experience in providing the best moving services. For intrastate move (within state) or out of state moving, Movers USA is experienced to tackle any type of moving service and to provide the right solution for any need. The highest quality of service is guarantee with each move. Movers USA is a proud member of Maryland Movers Conference. Movers USA is a Registered Maryland mover (only 9 moving companies in MD) at the Maryland Motor Truck Association. Movers USA is also a Promover, Movers USA movers and packers are all certified by the American Moving and Storage Association.
Movers USA has been known for its experienced, trained and certified manpower and qualified staff. From your first conversation with our relocation specialist to the last piece of furniture our movers will unload in your new home, your satisfaction is assured. State of the art trucks and equipment along with short term and long term storage services guarantees we will custom your next perfect move!