Are you moving to Fort Meade in Maryland anytime soon? Congratulation! People moving to the area should learn about Fort Meade before they relocate. Once they have gathered all the information about the city, they can hire professional movers to help them relocate. You can refer to this guide if you want to know more information about moving to Ft. Meade.
1. Moving Services and Tips
If you are moving to Ft. Meade, Maryland, you need to contact a realtor in the area to show you around town. In fact, you should visit Ft. Meade beforehand to look at the houses and apartments in the area before you decide to move.
Since Ft. Meade is the home to mostly military families, you may know someone already living there. You can ask them about what the best neighborhoods and counties are for families. Find out about the public utilities, inquiring about how the area receives its water, from a well source or from a septic tank.
The Homeowners Association usually markets, manages, and sells homes and in Maryland, that is the norm. However, you will come across areas where you will not have to make any monthly payments whereas others have a payment of more than $2,000. If you are looking for a house to rent or buy in the state, specifically in Ft. Meade, you should definitely ask questions before you submit an offer or sign a contract.
Once you have selected the house, you can contact a professional moving company to pick up your stuff and relocate it to your new location in Maryland. Before you leave for the state, make sure to check the weather and the traffic conditions. You do not want to travel to Maryland during rush hours or work hours. Try to leave early in the morning if you can. If a holiday is coming up, you should stay put, as the roads can get extremely crowded.
Here are some more moving and packing tips from us at Movers USA:
- Finding the right job in Columbia can be a little tricky. Therefore, research well before moving to the community.
- Familiarize yourself with the town. Find where your local banks, schools and groceries stores are located. These are often the places you’ll need to go to first and it can help if you can find them quickly.
- Take care in organizing your items by priority. Things that will fall to the bottom of the list may be items to dispose of or donate. Things at the top of the list will include most important or personal items. It helps to know where to start when packing and organizing a home before and after a move.
- About a month in advance, research and select a professional moving company to assist you with all your moving needs. A good company will help you with every aspect of planning a move from helping to coordinate dates to providing valuable advice on packing.
- Plan ahead for small children and pets to be taken care of during the move. Relocation can be stressful for children and animals too, so don’t forget to make sure their needs will also be met on the day of the move. Trying to arrange a caregiver for that day may help reduce the amount of stress for everyone.
- The community is specially designed to eliminate discrimination in all senses. Therefore, all the residents living there are expected to behave accordingly. For example, it is a general practice in Columbia that children of all residents living in one neighborhood will go to the same school. The practice is designed to favor equality and decrease discrimination. It is very important to adhere to communal value systems and ideas to easily adjust in the city.
2. Highways and Public Transport
If you are moving into Ft. Meade military base, make sure that your moving company can access the base. Check with the base management what your professional moving company will need in order to get in to the base:
- Are there any permits needed?
- Are there a time restrictions for accessing the base?
- Are there any restrictions as for the truck size and weight that can access the base?
You do not want to find out on move day that the moving truck is not permitted to access the base.
Ft. Meade is situated between Washington D.C. and Baltimore. From the capital of Annapolis, it located 20 minutes away. To travel to these locations, you can take the Maryland Route 295 and Maryland Route 32. When it comes to traveling within the city and outside of it, you have many options to consider.
You can take the Amtrak train stations and if you need to travel to another country, you can travel to the nearest airport. Other public transportations to consider taking is the BBP LINK Shuttle, Fort Meade Internal Shuttle, Fort Meade MARC Shuttle, ICC Bus 202, MARC Train, MTA Light Rail, NSA Savage MARC Shuttle, RTA M Route, and RTA K Route.
Online, you will find several sites that you can visit to see the arrival and departing schedule of each public transport system. In the city, you can even travel on foot to places if you want. You will also find that some residents of Ft. Meade like to carpool.
To get more information about Ft. Meade transportation, click here.
Will you need to wear a jacket or shorts when you relocate to Ft. Meade? You do not want to move to a new city unprepared. Be sure to check the forecast of the city before you finalize your moving date with a moving company. Typically, the city has a humid subtropical climate, meaning that the summer has humid and hot while the winters are mild and cool.
When you are planning a move, you will want to take the weather into consideration especially in Ann Arundel County where all four seasons are noticeable. if you are planning to move on winter or summer check the weather in advance based on your zip code to avoid hush weather conditions. Weather forecast can be found online here.
Anne Arundel County Public Schools manages the public schools in the area. The district has a rating of seven out of ten, which is spectacular for a city with such a small population. Families relocating to the city will find quality schools to enroll their child. You can find information about Anne Arundel Public Schools here.
Do note that most people who reside in the city have a high school diploma, but not from Fort Meade. This is due to the city being populated with military families. It is the same case for people with a post-graduate degree. You will also find some great universities and colleges located in and near Fort Meade.
Both the Defense Information Agency and the National Information Systems Agency call Fort Meade their home. The two agencies are located on Fort George G. Meade, which is a US Army post. You can visit the city official site to learn more about the government. You can ask your neighbors about it as well. If you are hiring a professional moving company, keep in mind that local moving companies do not required to obtain a license for local moves. In order to check if your mover is registered with the state, you can visit the Maryland Motor Truck association and find the best moving companies in the state. Click the following link for a list of registered movers.
Maryland registered movers agree to:
- Abide by a Code of Ethics, so that customers will be assured that their movers have the highest standards.
- Follow general guidelines for dealing with customers and adhere to the program's Statement of Policy.
- Agree to a system for arbitrating disputes between movers and customers, so that customers will be assured of a timely resolution of any complaint without the need for costly and time consuming litigation.
- Furnish copies of their moving contracts, warehouse receipts and storage orders to the Registered Mover Committee for review so that the Committee may verify that the documents meet the standards of the RMP.
6. Cities / Metro Areas
With a population of around 10,000, Fort Meade has tight-knit community with mainly military families occupying the vicinity. Here is a list of counties, adjacent communities, and bedroom towns in Fort Meade:
Counties in Fort Meade:
- Montgomery County
- Howard County
- Anne Arundel County
- Prince George County
The communities adjacent to Fort Meade are:
- Seven Oaks
- Patuxent Research Refuge
- Odenton, Maryland
- Maryland City
- Annapolis Junction
Fort Meade also has some bedroom towns, which include:
- Severna Park
- Glen Burnie
- Ellicott City
7. Cost of Living
When you shift to a new place, you end up worrying about how much it will cost you to reside there. You will have to take into account several expenses such as utility bills, car payments, groceries, gas, and rental payments, if you have rented a house or an apartment in Fort Meade. If you rent a home there, it will cost you about $1,900.
The homeowners, both who rent and but, less than 30 percent of their salary goes toward paying the rent or mortgage of the house. With about 87 percent of houses rented out to people, it is safe to assume that most people prefer to rent than buy a property.
Parents strive to send their children to the best schools in the area. Where should they send them in Fort Meade? They will find plenty of schools in the area and may want to pick a county to live in based on the type of schools near it. The last thing any parent wants to do is to comprise on their child’s education. The public school district which is serving the Ft. Meade area is the AACPS, short for the Anne Arundel County Public Schools. This district has over 5000 teachers teaching almost 78,000 students. A comprehensive, standardized curriculum is followed in the schools, from Pre-K through 12th grade.
In Fort Meade, you will not have to worry about your child not receiving a quality education, comprised of experienced teachers. Here are some of the universities and schools you will come across in Ft. Meade:
- Manor View Elementary School- Serves grades 1 through 5
- Meade Heights Elementary School- Serves grades pre-k through 5
- Pershing Hill Elementary School- Serves grades 1 through 5
- The West Meade Early Education Center- Serves pre-kindergarten and kindergarten
- MacArthur Middle School- Serves grades 6 through 8
- Meade Middle School- Serves grades 6 through 8
- Meade Senior High School- Serves grades 9 through 12
- Bowie State University
- Howard Community College
- Anne Arundel Community College
- University of Maryland
- Strayer University
*Note: Some of the universities are located in and around Fort Meade. You can decide on the university you want to go to by measuring the distance between your house and the school.
Families or couples who want to raise a family in Fort Meade will have plenty of options to consider. It is important that you look at the neighborhood as a whole and not just one aspect of it.
9. Media Outlets
How do you plan to receive news about Fort Meade? As a resident, you will need to know what events, festivals, or the latest stories are occurring in your area. You have several ways to obtain information. You can obtain the latest happenings in the area through newspapers, TV channels, or the radio station.
You can read the Fort Meade Leader, Lake Wales News, and Mulberry Press. Some of the newspapers have sites online as well, which you can refer to if you do not like to read news the traditional way.
When you are on the road, heading out to a grocery store, dropping your kids off to school, or running errand, you can tune into to a radio station of your choice. You can listen to 88.1 FM, a public radio broadcast.
If you want to listen to music, tune in to 88.9 FM to listen to jazz or 93.1 FM to listen to country music. You can listen to your daily dose of news on 88.5 FM. You can flip through the radio channels to find the best one for you.
10. About Movers USA
Movers USA a leading moving company in Maryland. We are proud to have many happy customers who will vouch for our MD movers service too. We are a professional Maryland moving company with client testimonials covering the spectrum of services we offer, so have a read for yourself. Credibility is crucial so the high quality and genuine affordability of our relocation and storage options is how we aim to please all those who need reliable movers in Md.
Cost is of course an important factor when making your decision and Movers USA offer excellent value for money compared to many Maryland moving companies. We may not always be the “cheapest” moving company in MD, but our free quotes, bespoke planning, specialist vehicles and highly skilled team are just some of the rich features we know make a real difference to ensure a safe, efficient and well executed move.
Movers USA has over three decades of experience, highly qualified, certified relocation specialists and state of the art equipments, which makes it the ideal choice for moving to new place. Movers USA is specialized in local moves at the same state, long distance moves from state to state and international moves outside the country. In addition, we also provide packing and unpacking services, short term and long term full service storage and more. Movers USA is a proud member of Maryland Movers Conference (only 9 moving companies in MD) at the Maryland Motor Truck Association and the American Moving and Storage Association.
Movers USA is a moving company, catering to people who want to relocate to or out of Maryland. They provide people with a list of services, which includes storage and special moving services.
People can get in touch with the company if they want to move to another country, within the state, or to another state. If they are unable to take some of their personal belongings with them, they have the option to choose from long-term, short-term, 2-stage move, storage in transit, and overnight storage. People can contact the moving company for a free quote.