Chevy Chase is a Bordering Washington DC, and in the Montgomery County of Maryland, lies the beautiful residential-suburb of Chevy Chase. With its rich historical legacy and scenic locales, Chevy Chase is a quiet, affluent, and peaceful neighborhood with big houses and tree-lined streets.
It has a population of around 3,000 and is one of the most affluent and best educated places in America. A primarily white-collar town, Chevy Chase is host to middle-class professionals, managers, and office and sales workers. It is a town of artists, designers, and scientists.
1. Moving services and tips
Relocating to a new place can be exciting and exhilarating at the same time. However, some of these tips can make the whole moving process much more manageable, if not easier:
- When shopping for a mover it is best to ask family or friends for a recommendation. If you are getting names online, it is important to research those movers with local agencies like better business bureau or the department of transportation.
- When you ask for moving estimates you should try and get the mover to come and visit and provide an in-home estimate. Most reputable moving companies would provide such estimate free of charge. Make sure that the estimate you get is in writing and you understand all charges and coverage.
- Create a checklist of items to be moved. Write everything down. Without a checklist, everything would be haphazard and the whole experience would be no less than aggravating.
- It is ideal to plan relocation during the season of spring or autumn. The temperature can go to extreme during the summer and winter periods.
- Make arrangements for small children and/or pets for during the move. Both can be sensitive to the commotion of a move and may benefit from being in a more relaxing environment.
- It will also ease your mind as it may be one less thing to have to worry about on the day of the move.
- Scout out your new neighborhood and locate the most important shops and facilities. Hospitals, grocery stores, banks, etc.
- Use the appropriate boxes for packing different types of items. For example, for breakables, dishes, glass wear, etc., a Dish Pack box is best. For books and other heavy objects, small boxes are best. It is recommended to use new, unused boxes for fragile items. Not using the right type of boxes can increase the chance of damages to your belongings.
- Label and organize your boxes to make unpacking easier. By knowing roughly what the contents are, you’ll be able to place boxes in the correct rooms and locate necessary items quickly.
- Check the weather forecast for the week you are planning to move, to make sure it is not too cold, rainy or very hot. Although you should plan ahead and secure a moving company at least a month in advance, the best time of year to plan for a move is in the spring or fall when the weather is not at its most extreme.
- Make sure you have the right home address and directions to where you are moving
- At the time when the movers are at work in your home, make sure you keep an eye on your pets, if any, and small children. Removing most or all distractions or obstacles help your move progress faster and creates a safer environment for the movers. Try to arrange a babysitter or a play date for small children.
- The ideal weather in the city is during spring and autumn seasons. Therefore, it is highly recommended to move during spring or autumn to avoid the harshness of the weather.
- Finding the right job in Columbia can be a little tricky. Therefore, research well before moving to the community.
It is also important that you have plenty of supplies. To pack all of your stuff, you need boxes – lots of them. You can buy them in bulk from the moving company and the return the unused ones for a refund. Apart from that, you will need duct tape to seal the boxes and bubble wrap to pack the fragile items. Take great care while packing fragile items so that the movers can handle them without damage.
It is strongly advisable that you contact a moving company to coordinate all the activities for relocation. Do not try to do everything yourself. Leave it to the professionals. If you are moving out of state, you need to contact interstate movers.
Once you move in to the new home, the first thing to do is to set up the bed. Pack your sheets and towels in separate, accessible boxes so you don’t face any problems on the first night.
2. Highways and public transport
Most residents of Chevy Chase use private vehicles for transportation. However, if you happen to be there without access to private transportation, don’t worry. Public transport is an option as well.
Public transportation is not far from some of the residential areas in the neighborhood of Chevy Chase. However, due to the suburban nature of development, buses and Metro do not usually cross the street right outside your house.
Some of the Metro stations near the neighborhood include the Van Ness, Friendship Heights, and Tenleytown. The bus lines that stop in Chevy Chase are: L1, L2, and L4 along Connecticut Avenue and the E2, E3, E4, and E6.
There are no bike sharing stations around Chevy Chase, for now, but you will find various car sharing services, like Zipcar, along Connecticut Avenue.
The Capital Crescent Trail and Rock Creek Park are some of the options if you are interested in going for a walk, jogging, hiking, and biking.
When you plan your move, you’ll want to keep any eye on the weather forecast to avoid scheduling during a period of bad weather.
Chevy Chase receives an average of 44 inches of rain per year, compared to the national average of 37 inches. Its average snowfall is 21 inches, which is around the same as the national average of 25 inches per year.
The weather in the area is usually sunny with an average of 200 sunny days per year. The average July high is around 89 degrees and January low is around 24 degrees.
If you or one of your family members is still seeking education, moving to Chevy Chase will be a good option for you. We all know there is a direct link between where you live and education. The location where a family member or a child is born and raised can determine his chances of living to adulthood, as well as his quality of life throughout childhood. Please take the time to read more and research where you want to live and where you want your family to grow at.
For a list of MD schools and school grades click HERE.
The state of education in Chevy Chase is significantly better compared to rest of the country. It ranks among one of America’s best towns in terms of education, according to various reports in the media.
One such report appeared in September in Business Insider. It relied on the 2008-2012 American Community Survey (ACS) estimates for places with population of at least 1,000 people. In its findings, the report ranked Chevy Chase as the number one town in America on the basis of education. With 93 percent of residents with at least a bachelor’s degree, Chevy Chase sits comfortably atop the list.
Annapolis moving companies are not required to obtain a license for local moves. In order to check if your mover is registered with the state, you can visit the Maryland Motor Truck association and find the best moving companies in the state. Click HERE for a list of registered movers.
The government in Chevy Chase can be classified into three tiers: town government, Montgomery county government, and the State of Maryland.
Chevy Chase town government
The town is governed by a 5-member town council which selects a mayor and appoints a town manager, who enforces the town regulations and runs the everyday operations of the community.
The Montgomery County government is composed of the County Executive who implements and enforces the County's laws and County Council which passes these laws.
State of Maryland
The governor is the head of the executive branch of the state government and presides over the Governor’s Executive Council while a bicameral General Assembly formulates the laws.
6. Cities/metro areas
Chevy Chase lies to the north of Cleveland Park and southeast of Bethesda. It can be divided into the town, the surrounding villages and the census-designated place (CDP), all of which share the same name.
Some of the well-known places in the neighborhood include the Avalon Theatre, Connecticut Avenue, Mazza Gallerie, and the Chevy Chase Pavilion.
7. Cost of living
While moving to Chevy Chase, one of the most important considerations must be the cost of living. Like most affluent places in the country, living in Chevy Chase is very expensive.
The overall cost of living is a staggering 139% higher than the national average. Buying a home could cost around $863,500, which is 376% higher than the national average. Similarly, average mortgage payment and apartment rent are at $2,314 and $2,300 respectively, both significantly higher than the national average.
The basic utilities including electricity, water, heating, and garbage for an 85 meter square apartment in Chevy Chase cost somewhere around $200.
Parents moving to Chevy Chase will have somewhat limited choices when it comes to finding good public or private schools for their children.
The residential areas of Chevy Chase are served by the Montgomery County Public Schools system. It has a network of schools in the town and the nearby areas. These include:
- Chevy Chase Elementary School: Grades 3-6 (in the town of Chevy Chase)
- Rosemary Hills Elementary School: Grades PreK-2 (unincorporated Montgomery County)
- Somerset Elementary School: Grades K-5 (in Somerset)
All of the residents of Chevy Chase are zoned to Westland Middle School and Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School. If you want more information on public schools and their ratings, please visit here.
Some of the private schools in the area are:
- Concord Hill School: Grades PreK-3
- Oneness Family School: Grades PreK-8
- Chevy Chase United Methodist Church Preschool: Grades Pre Kindergarten-Transitional Kindergarten.
- Lone Oak Montessori School-democracy Campus
Schools in Chevy Chase spend $17,336 per student. The pupil-to-teacher ratio is 15 students per teacher. There are 340 and 308 students per librarian and counselor respectively.
9. Media outlets
If you plan to move to Chevy Chase, you need to know about some of the prominent media outlets. The major forms of media – newspapers, TV stations, and radio stations – offer a mix of local news, current affairs, and local entertainment.
Chevy Chase residents, apart from receiving some of the major newspapers like Washington Times and Washington Post, can also access the newspapers circulated locally. These are:
- Chevy Chase Gazette
- Montgomery County Sentinel
- Bethesda-Chevy Chase Patch
Radio is another prominent form of media in Chevy Chase. If you are worried that you will miss out on some of your favorite local radio shows after moving to Chevy Chase, you can access them online. Chevy Chase also has an array of local AM and FM radio stations. Some of these are:
- WMAL AM 630
- Mix 107.3 FM - WRQX
- 9 The Edge
Here is a list of the most notable TV channels in Chevy Chase:
- Travel Channel
- WTTG - Fox 5 News
- NBC 4
- Wusa Tv Channel 9
10. About Movers USA
As we suggested earlier, your relocation can be handled effectively and efficiently by a professional moving company which can save you all the hassle. If you are considering moving to Chevy Chase, then Movers USA is your best option.
We are a leading moving company in Maryland. That’s not just our opinion; we are proud to have many happy customers who will vouch for our MD movers service too. We are a specialist Maryland moving company with client testimonials covering the spectrum of services we offer, so have a read for yourself. Credibility is crucial so the high quality and genuine affordability of our relocation and storage options is how we aim to please all those who need reliable movers in Md.
Cost is of course an important factor when making your decision and Movers USA offer excellent value for money compared to many Maryland moving companies. We may not always be the cheapest moving company in MD, but our free quotes, bespoke planning, specialist vehicles and highly skilled team are just some of the rich features we know make a real difference to ensure a safe, efficient and well executed move.
With nearly three decades of experience, Movers USA is a well-respected moving company that offers local relocation as well as out of state moving. Furthermore, with their storage services, you can store your personal belongings, even for longer durations, in storage areas equipped with climate control systems.
If you are a resident or a commercial enterprise, you can safely rely on Movers USA for internal or interstate relocations. The movers can visit your house and establishment to move your personal belongings even on a weekend or a holiday, with no additional fees.
Another advantage of relying on Movers USA for relocation is their superior customer care. The customer support department is responsible, efficient, and effective in handling your queries and concerns.
From disassembling and re-assembling your furniture and equipment to the protection of fragile items, and from friendly moving staff to fully professional moving trucks, Movers USA is your ultimate moving solution.