Are you planning to move to Rhode Island in the near future? You are in the right place! Located in the region of New England in the United States, it is the smallest state by area, present in the US. Bordered with Connecticut on the West, the serene Atlantic Ocean on the South and Massachusetts on both the North and East, it is an amazing combination of serenity with a strong heritage. It is popularly known as the Ocean State due to its shoreline.
The state is famous for its rich traditional and historical background with mesmerizing sights of nature. The beauty of the state is that it has a combination of natural, historical and modern features creating a magnificent effect together.
1. Moving Tips and Services
Before relocating to the famous Ocean State, it is of great importance to take a few things into consideration. Some of these include:
- One of the most important tasks will be securing a moving company. You’ll want to research and choose a professional company at least a month prior. A good company will be able to give you helpful advice about how to better prepare for the move.
- Choose a professional company that has experience in transporting furniture to ensure every precaution is taken to protect your belongings.
- Label and organize your boxes to make unpacking easier. By knowing roughly what the contents are, you’ll be able to place boxes in the correct rooms and locate necessary items quickly.
- Use the appropriate boxes for packing different types of items. For example, for breakables, dishes, glass wear, etc., a Dish Pack box is best. For books and other heavy objects, small boxes are best. It is recommended to use new, unused boxes for fragile items. Not using the right type of boxes can increase the chance of damages to your belongings.
- The weather is not extreme at any time of the year. Rhode Island has several colleges and universities. During the seasons of spring and autumn many students are moving to the state due to the beginning of the new semesters which makes the relocation rate much higher. Many students prefer to live close to the numerous prestigious educational institutions. Therefore, it is a better idea for families to move in summers or winters because the prices rise during the spring and autumn seasons.
- Plan ahead for small children and pets to be taken care of during the move. Relocation can be stressful for children and animals too, so don’t forget to make sure their needs will also be met on the day of the move. Trying to arrange a caregiver for that day may help reduce the amount of stress for everyone.
- When moving out of state and relocating you should take the time and notify official agencies about your upcoming move: get a change of address form, call the gas company, electric company, phone, internet Etc.
- Make sure of the route you are choosing to relocate. Unexpected roadblocks can waste precious time. Also check if you have tolls on your route and have cash ready.
- It is also important to be aware of the major festivals and public events as they can cause a lot of traffic jams and bring heavy crowds to the state. Try to avoid moving during these events.
- When you ask for moving estimates you should try and get the mover to come and visit and provide an in-home estimate. Most reputable moving companies would provide such estimate free of charge. Make sure that the estimate you get is in writing and you understand all charges and coverages.
- Prior to moving it is advised that you go through your items and see if there are items that you may want to let go of, or sell. Reducing the amount of items would reduce moving cost, and if you can do a moving sale you can use some of the funds from such sale to offset the cost of the move.
2. Highways and public transport
The highways are very convenient and it makes moving to the Rhode Island very easy. The well maintained infrastructure contributes to the ease of traveling within the state. But some roads can be extremely busy with heavy traffic and congestion. It is better to opt for public transport if you have to commute for longer durations. It can save fuel, hassles and precious time. One of the options for public transportation includes rails which are both cheap and convenient. Ferries are also used as a popular means of transport in the state for traveling to different ports and islands.
The enviornment in Rhode Island can cause some delays to your move. The temperatures in the state can be high during the summers with an increased level of humidity and rainfalls throughout the season. Winters are snowy with icy rain and low temperatures. The state is known to be on the borderline of a tropical and continental climate. The best seasons with moderate climate are spring and autumn when the weather is usually very pleasant. It is best to plan ahead and avoid any rainfalls which can disrupt the move, you can check Rhode Island’s weather by clicking here.
The private educational sector is greatly developing and improving the standards of academic excellence here. A number of highly ranked universities are present in the state. The system of higher education is much better than the elementary and high school level. Some of the highest rated universities in the state include Bryant University, Roger Williams University, Brown University and Rhode Island School of Design. A number of students from around the world prefer to come to Rhode Island to pursue their degrees. It is a popular destination for both its excellence in academics and the serenity and beauty it is blessed with.
To research a potential mover you should first check their license with FMCSA, which verifies active and insured movers. To ensure that you are dealing with Promovers you can check with The American Moving and Storage Association.
The city Providence is the capital of Rhode Island. The process of out of state moving requires new residents to adhere to the rules and certain procedures must be followed in the state. Some of them include:
- You should try to immediately register your vehicle to avoid any further complications. It is of absolute significance to do so.
- A 7 percent excise tax will be paid every year on the vehicle you own.
- Soon after shifting to the state, you can register to get the right to vote by submitting the voter registration form.
6. Cities / metro areas
On your move you will see what Rhode Island has transformed into. The old Rhode Island was a place with small localities, each with its individual culture and heritage, combined as one state. Presently, those small towns have developed into big cities. Each city has a distinct cultural history and traditions. Some of the most important cities in the state include: Warwick, Woonsocket, Newport, Cumberland and South Kingstown.
7. Cost of living
Knowing the cost of living is extremely important before relocating to any new state. It might not be surprising for those moving interstate that the cost of living in the state of Rhode Island is 10.4% higher than other cities in the US, which makes it affordable to only a small number of people. But, with a relatively high percentage of cost, the average income in the state is also higher than the rest of the country. The cost of real estate is shooting up due to availability of fewer homes and a high density of population. The property taxes in the state are also among one of the highest in the entire US. Other than the housing costs, groceries are also expensive in the state as Rhode Island doesn’t have a high rate of local agricultural production, thus causing rise in food and commodities prices.
Your families preperation for moving is only half the battle. You have done your research for the best moving company, now it is time to enroll your children into school. Rhode Island’s Department of Education has the tools needed to make your decision easier, you can click here to go their website.
It is important for students and parents to know that the education in Rhode Island is improving, but has not reached the benchmark yet. Also, there is a huge variation in the quality of elementary, middle and high schools present in the state. It is thus, very significant to choose the right one. Some of the most famous elementary schools in the state include:
- Primrose Hill School in Barrington
- Greenbush Elementary School
- West Kingston Elementary School
- Hope Valley Elementary School
- William Winsor School in Smithfield
- Kingston Hill Academy Charter School
Some of the best high schools in the state include
- Chariho Regional Middle School
- Barrington High School in Barrington
- North Providence High School
- Exeter-West Greenwich Reg. Jr. Mt.
- South Kingstown High School in South Kingstow
- Hope High School,
- Classical High School in Providence
9. Media outlets
To be constantly aware of the latest developments and happenings in the state, it is very important to follow some good sources of information. Newspapers are one of the most detailed and reliable resources locally. Some of the most famous newspapers in the state of Rhode Island include:
The Providence Journal
The largest newspaper in the state of Rhode Island, the Providence Journal serves the city of Providence. It is the oldest constantly published newspaper in the United States. It has also won four Pulitzer Prizes. The history of the Providence Journal dates back to the 18th century. The newspaper covers editorials and articles on important topics from education to health, sports and international and local news.
The Westerly Sun
A popular newspaper in the city of Westerly is The Westerly Sun. The newspaper is published 7 days a week. The unique thing about this paper is that it is published in the afternoon - hence the title “Westerly Sun”. The newspaper is famous for covering all the updates and news related to national and international events, health, education, politics and weather.
Some other famous newspapers in the state include Kent County Daily Times, The Newport Daily Times and Kent County Daily Times. The Brown Daily Herald is a privately owned newspaper by the Brown University in the city of Providence. It is among the top three oldest student newspapers in the country.
10. Movers USA
Even the idea of relocation can induce fear in many people. Be it for intercity moving or out of state moving, relocation involves taking care of many things. From buying and selling of houses, seeking better employment opportunities, admissions in schools and colleges, and managing finances - the process of relocation requires tremendous effort and is extremely time consuming. A number of people avoid relocating no matter how important it is for them, just because of the hurdles it can bring.
Movers USA have more than three decades of experience in relocating homeowners from one place to another. Apart from relocation services, they provide customers with storage services, full and partial packing, local moves, international moves, office moves and more. People can contract Movers USA services if they want to move to a new town, to another state, or even across the ocean.
Upon contacting our company, we will customize your package, keeping in mind your budget and moving schedule. Next, we will provide you with a free estimate for relocation services and any additional service you many need (storage, packing, unpacking, etc). . You can use our overnight storage service to keep your belongings. or our long and short-term storage options. Movers USA have equipped all of their storage systems with a climate-control system to ensure your belongings stay in mint condition.
The hire certified employees are well trained in transporting personal belongings to different location of the United States in a safe manner. People who need to move stuff such as antiques or piano can count on them to transport them safely.
Do you need to move your furniture during the weekend or holiday season? Movers USA will work together with you to find the best option to accommodate as much as possible your schedule. Movers USA is a company you can rely on with your belongings.