If you are planning a move to Raleigh, North Carolina, there are lots of things you will need to take into consideration and keep in mind for the move. Hopefully this article can help shed some light on what those items may be. Raleigh is the capital city in North Carolina. It is the 2nd most populous city in the state and has been named after Sir Walter Raleigh. The city is constantly developing and modernizing. Today, Raleigh is a metropolitan city and it has doubled its advancement and prosperity within the last 30 years.
The city is comprised of many unique neighborhoods. These include Fayetteville Street, Mordecai, College Parka and Historic Oakland. The area of College Parka is especially ideal for new couples or young people. Other famous neighborhoods include Cary and Garner, as well as commuter communities with plenty of services for housing for young families.
Although a great city to move to, it is not suitable for everyone to live in. Some of the major points to know before relocation include:
1. Moving services and tips:
Moving away from your home and settling in a new place is certainly not a decision to be made in a single day. There are a number of factors that need your attention before you take action. If you are planning to move to Raleigh, the following tips will come in handy:
- It would be best to plan your move in the spring or fall, since the weather during that time is mild and pleasant with least humidity as compared to other times of the year.
- If you familiarize yourself with the parking regulations of Raleigh and find a good parking spot around your new house, it would make moving much easier.
- Try to steer clear of the busy commute time when moving, since that time of the day is known for getting busy and the roads get jam-packed with traffic.
- Make sure to know learn about the cost of living before moving to Raleigh, for some people might find it costly than their previous city.
It would be wise to look for jobs before considering the move to Raleigh. Most of the positions in Raleigh requires skills and are of white-collar nature.
- Prior to moving it is advised that you go through your items and see if there are items that you may want to let go of, or sell. Reducing the amount of items would reduce moving cost, and if you can do a moving sale you can use some of the funds from such sale to offset the cost of the move.
- Another great idea is to arrange for a “packing party”. You can invite friends and family and while you get them food and drinks and even play some good music, they can help supervise, or even pack some pots and pans.
- Stay organized. Moving could be messy, therefor start a moving folder and try to stay organized as much as you can.
2. Highways and public transport:
Moving to such a busy city will bring its own sets of challenges. The city has a well-built structure of roads and bridges. Owning a car is a good option for living in Raleigh, but it is expensive. Other than personal transportation, different modes of transportation are the bus and metro routes, which are very well scheduled and public transportation is preferred by most of the residents.
One of the famous transit system is Raleigh is GoRaleigh Transit. This transit system provides a bus service all through the city of Raleigh along with R-Line services in Downtown Raleigh. This transporting service is free that has various scheduled stops in the downtown area.
Residents can also avail Taxi services that can easily be hailed anywhere from downtown at anytime of the day. If not then one could call for taxi services.
Do not plan to relocate during the summers or winters as both can be extreme in temperature here. Aim to move during the spring or autumn time as it is the most ideal time for relocating to this city. On the whole, a range of different temperatures are experienced throughout the year. The summers are usually humid and hot with subtropical climate but the winters can get very cold. Winters in Raleigh are intense with freezing rainfalls and occasional snowstorms. The city of Raleigh also experiences occasional droughts.
Making the move to Raleigh will bring a lot of opportunities to take advantage of the wonderful education system in place there. The city has many quality educational institutions. It is considered one of the most educated cities in the US. There are prestigious high schools and universities present within the city. The public schools include magnet, traditional, early college and alternative schools. The schools in Raleigh are well established with qualified faculty and staff. Higher education is also excellent in the city. Some of the famous universities include North Carolina State University, Wake Technical Community College and William Peace University.
Interstate movers are licensed by the FMCSA. TO check if a company is in good rating with DOT, please check here. The American Moving and Storage association also regulates moving companies. To check if a mover is a ProMover please visit here.
The city of Raleigh works under the city council which consists of eight members. These members are elected every two year. The city government deals with all kinds of issues and has 17 different departments to tackle each one of them. These departments are:
- Budget and Management Services
- City Manager's Office
- City Planning
- Development Services
- Convention Center
- Emergency Communications Center
- Housing and Neighborhoods
- Human Resources
- Information Technology
- Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources
- Police (for general department questions, NON-emergency)
- Public Affairs
- Public Utilities
- Public Works
- Solid Waste Services
6. Cities / metro areas:
Before you move, you should prepare yourself for moving to a fast paced, large city. Raleigh city is the second most populous metropolitan area of North Carolina with the latest record of 439,896 populations. The city is lined with Oak trees all around. This city of North Carolina covers a land area of 142.8 square miles and is said to be growing rapidly each passing day.
7. Cost of living:
Before you relocate, it is wise to compare the cost of living of your new home to other places in the county. The overall standard of living is not very high. You can maintain a quality life earning an average income here. The prices for housing, healthcare, consumer goods and utilities are higher if compared to other cities in North Carolina. However, the wages are also much higher as compared to the neighboring areas. It is an ideal place to find a job in. With very few highly qualified individuals, there is a high demand. However, getting a job in Raleigh does require sufficient hard work and research. The city has an 8% unemployment rate which is almost half to the national unemployment stats.
Making the move with small children who will attend school in Raleigh can be very stressful, but made less by doing some research ahead of time. Please research individual schools and ratings here. The city of Raleigh is served by Wake County Public School System. This school system was created by emerging Raleigh city and wake county schools. At the moment, this system is said to be the largest school system in the state. Raleigh was also ranked as the third most educated city of United States by Time. This city houses some major universities, including North Carolina State University as well as Shaw University to name a few. In Raleigh city, finest education is provided to students in various educational institutes, following are some of them:
Elementary Schools in Raleigh:
- Abbotts Creek Elementary School
- Baileywick Elementary School
- Barwell Road Elementary School
- Banks Road Elementary school
- Brassfield Elementary School
- Brentwood Elementary School
- Bugg Elementary School
- Combs Elementary School
- Conn Elementary School
- Dillard Drive Elementary School
- Forest Pines Elementary
- Harris Creek Elementary School
- Hilburn Academy
- Hunter Elementary School
- Jeffreys Grove Elementary School
- Jones Dairy Elementary School
- Joyner Elementary School
- Lacy Elementary School
- Millbrook Elementary School
- North Forest Pines Elementary
- North Ridge Elementary School
- Olds Elementary School
- Partnership Elementary School
- Pleasant Union Elementary School
- Poe Elementary School
- Powell Elementary School
- River Bend Elementary School
- Root Elementary School
- Sycamore Creek Elementary School
- Underwood Elementary School
- Vance Elementary School
- Wakefield Elementary School
- Washington Elementary School
- Wilburn Elementary School
- Wildwood Forest Elementary School
- Wiley Elementary School
- Yates Mill Elementary School
- York Elementary School
Middle Schools in Raleigh:
- Carroll Middle School
- Centennial Campus Magnet Middle School
- Josephus Daniels Middle School
- Dillard Drive Middle School
- Durant Road Middle School
- East Millbrook Middle School
- Leesville Road Middle School
- John W. Ligon Middle School
- Martin Middle School
- Fred J. Carnage Middle School
- Wakefield Middle School
- West Millbrook Middle School
- Moore Square Middle School
High Schools in Raleigh:
- Southeast Raleigh High School
- Needham B. Broughton High School
- William G. Enloe High School
- Leesville Road High School
- Millbrook High School
- Athens Drive High School
- Jesse O. Sanderson High School
- Wakefield High School
9. Media outlets:
You’ll have to get used to having a new source of local news when you move. When it comes to keeping themselves updated and entertained with all the latest local Raleigh news, the residents of this city are offered with various options. Following are some of the major print and electronic publications of Raleigh:
- The News & Observer
- The Carolinian
- The Slammer
- Carolina Journal
- TheTriangle Downtowner Magazine
- Midtown Magazine
- Independent Weekly
- Technician, student publication of North Carolina State University
- WRBZ 850 AM
10. about Movers USA:
Relocation can be tiring and stress inducing. It is very hard to find the right movers who can plan the right strategy for you. However, minimum risk should be involved when considering relocation. Ideally, the process of relocation should be reliable and smooth. Moving from one place to another can be a big hassle, let alone from one country to another. Therefore, to have the best moving experience, it is extremely necessary to find the right company.
With more than 3 decades of on hand experience, Movers USA is surely the best professional choice you can make when it comes to relocation. We specialize in taking away all your worries and stresses related to relocation and work with you to create a smooth moving plan for you! Be it within town, outside the state or even country, Movers USA will surely deliver the best.
The staff at Movers USA is experienced and qualified to handle any type of move. We are known for giving top quality service and having the best teams in town. Our guys will be able to handle any challenge efficiently and we always take the furthest precaution in caring for your items.
From our know-how to the top of the line moving equipment that we use, your items will be in good hands.
Movers USA have well-maintained and high quality trucks. You may have even seen our beautiful trucks around town! The trucks are custom designed for making the relocation easier and simpler. They provide best quality service, be it an interstate, local or even international move. All type of storage services including short term and long term are available. Consult with one of our specialists to discover all your options to find which will work best for you.
With all these features, we also offer constant live customer support. The claims for theft, damage or loss can easily be registered. The highly professional team can help you in making the best of your move. The high quality services are also given at a very low cost compared to the market. As it is very difficult to find the best price for the most reliable moving services, choose Movers USA and have a smooth and stress-free relocation experience!