If you like to bike, enjoy the outdoors and parks, can appreciate good beer and food and being green you are moving to Portland OR, would defiantly be the right move for you!
Did you know that Portland is the largest city in the state of Oregon? If you are planning on moving to Portland permanently, it is recommended to book your professional moving company as soon as possible. as one of the most environmentally conscious cities in the world, Portland is very popular to move to due to its high walkability, large bicyclists community, organic dining, expansive network of public transportation options, and thousands of acres of public parks.
Here are a few tips to remember before moving to Portland, OR.
1. Moving Tips and Services
- You should always research when looking at potential movers. Do not be fooled by the “low price”. You should research your movers with the better business bureau, the US department of transportation and state agencies like MMTA – the Maryland motor truck association, or, in VA the VMWA – the Virginia Movers and warehouseman’s association.
- When you are planning a move from coast to coast you will have plenty to do, so planning is key for a successful relocation.
- When moving out of state and relocating you should take the time and notify official agencies about your upcoming move: get a change of address form, call the gas company, electric company, phone, internet Etc.
- Prior to moving it is advised that you go through your items and see if there are items that you may want to let go of, or sell. Reducing the amount of items would reduce moving cost, and if you can do a moving sale you can use some of the funds from such sale to offset the cost of the move.
- Another great idea is to arrange for a “packing party”. You can invite friends and family and while you get them food and drinks and even play some good music, they can help supervise, or even pack some pots and pans.
- Stay organized. Moving could be messy, therefor start a moving folder and try to stay organized as much as you can.
- If possible, try to schedule moves in the middle of the month. Most homes are trying to reserve the last days, or, the first few days of the month for moving. If you can plan to move during a weekday and in the middle of the month, you may be able to save. Talk to your moving company representative to see how move date can help with saving.
- The state is full of natural beauty and there are lots of options for hiking, cycling, skipping and hiking. So if you love sports and being physically active, Portland is the place for you! People love to engage in healthy physical activities here to keep themselves fit. Different sports like inner tubing, scuba diving, hiking and many other sports are also very popular.
2. Highways and Public Transport
On Moving day, it will help if you have your own transportation to the new home. You will definitely want to provide the moving company with the address and best route. Just like any other typical city, you will come across slow moving traffic, and Portland is not any different. However, you can commute to places on your bicycle if you do not want the hassle of driving a car within a city. In all of the United States, the city is the 12th most bicycle-friendly city.
You also have the option to travel by the MAX light rail, the TriMet, the Portland Street Car, the Westside Express Service, and the Portland Mass Trans, which is one of the most used transportation services of the city. Still, some people may become baffled when it is time to head out. If you are not good with directions and get easily confused, remember that the city is like a grid. The streets ran numerically and alphabetically. If you jet out of Portland to another state, you can go to the Portland International Airport.
Moving to Portland will provide you with a wide range of weather. Portland has an oceanic climate, receiving at least 68 days of sunny weather every year. In the winters, the temperatures vary. The summers are dry and humid with an average temperature of about 80 degrees Fahrenheit. In July and August, you can expect the temperature to go in the 90s.
When you make the move to Portland, you may be interested in the education level in the city. The city has a total of six public schools, several private schools, and several well-known public and private universities and colleges like the Portland State University for instance. The six school districts of the city are David Douglas, Riverdale, Parkrose, Portland Public, Reynolds, and Centennial.
Out of the six, Portland Public School District is the largest with 100 schools coming under it. Each district in Portland consists of elementary schools, middle schools, and high schools. The city also has medical schools, law schools, and art schools. Families with little children can decide where they should purchase a home by looking at the district their neighborhood falls in.
Interstate movers are licensed by the FMCSA. TO check if a company is in good rating with DOT, please check here. The American Moving and Storage association also regulates moving companies. To check if a mover is a ProMover please visit here.
Portland has made several online resources available to its residents to take care of vital tasks such as tax information, voter registration, and city permits required for construction and tree trimming. Here is a list of resources you can look into when you move to the city:
- Building permits (PortlandOnline.com/bds)
- Driver’s License (Oregon.gov)
- Recycling, trash, and utilities information (com/bps)
- Removal and tree trimming permits (PortlandOnline.com/parks)
- Tax and IRS information (IRS.gov)
- Voter registration (OR.us)
6. Cities / Metro Areas
If you are making Portland your permanent home, you need to know about the following cities:
- Wood Village
- West Linn
- Oregon City
- Lake Oswego
- King City
- Forest Grove
7. Cost of Living
The city is one of the most expensive to reside in the United States. The median price of a home in the city is $239,000. Most people own their home with the rest rents. If you are moving into an apartment, know that the rent may be higher due to a low vacancy rate.
Portland consists of several neighborhoods, but you should purchase a home in a neighborhood where you can commute to places without taking out your car. In doing so, you will not have to pay for gas as often. Some of the areas you can consider to reside in include Goose Hollow, Downtown area, Nob Hill, Hillsdale, and Pearl District.
Families with little kids in tow need to scout out the neighborhood before they purchase a house there. If they are interested in a neighborhood, they can visit the school to inquire about their educational system as well as perform external research by asking around and searching on the internet. Click here for a complete list of ratings of schools in the area.
One site to visit for information regarding the credibility of different school in Portland, visit the Portland School District’s site. On the site, you will find a list of more than 90 elementary, middle, and high schools. Click on the School District Report Card to see the top ranked schools in Portland. Here is a list of schools that frequently rank on the School District Report Card:
- Alameda Elementary School
- Arts & Community Mag Academy
- Duniway Elementary School
- East–West Sylvan Middle School
- Findley Elementary School
- Fisher’s Landing Elementary School
- Forest Park Elementary School
- Lincoln High School
- Milwaukie Academy of the Arts
- Montclair Elementary School
Students traveling to Portland for higher education should check out the following universities:
- Warner Pacific College
- University of Portland
- The Art Institute of Portland
- Reed College
- Portland State University
- Portland Community College
- Pacific Northwest College of Art
- Oregon Health & Science University
- Oregon Culinary Institute
- Oregon College of Oriental Medicine
9. Media Outlets
People who are relocating to Portland will need to know the media outlets they can tune into for local updates about their new state. If you like to receive your news through a newspaper, you can read The Oregonian.
The newspaper is the state’s longest running publication and the most popular outlet for news in Portland. The newspaper is a five-time winner of the Pulitzer Prize, and you can expect it on your doorstep seven days a week. The Willamette Week publishes local news, business, politics, and culture. The newspaper is published every Wednesday. If you want to know all about Portland’s nightlife and dining scene, refer to the Willamette Week.
Other newspapers to read include the New Connexion, The Portland Observer, and Just Out. If you rather your daily dose of news about the state and the city from TV, you should tune in to the following channels:
- KPTV TV 12
- KOPB TV 10
- KOIN TV 6
- KGW TV 8
- KATU TV 2
You should read the local newspapers and watch the new channels so you understand what is happening in and around the city as well as the state. Once you have a favorite, you can become a regular subscriber and watcher.
10. About Movers USA
Relocation can be tiring and stress inducing. It is very hard to find the right movers who can plan the right strategy for you. However, minimum risk should be involved when considering relocation. Ideally, the process of relocation should be reliable and smooth. Moving from one place to another can be a big hassle, let alone from one country to another. Therefore, to have the best moving experience, it is extremely necessary to find the right company.
With more than 3 decades of on hand experience, Movers USA is surely the best professional choice you can make when it comes to relocation. We specialize in taking away all your worries and stresses related to relocation and work with you to create a smooth moving plan for you! Be it within town, outside the state or even country, Movers USA will surely deliver the best.
The staff at Movers USA is experienced and qualified to handle any type of move. We are known for giving top quality service and having the best teams in town. Our guys will be able to handle any challenge efficiently and we always take the furthest precaution in caring for your items.
From our know-how to the top of the line moving equipment that we use, your items will be in good hands.
Movers USA have well-maintained and high quality trucks. You may have even seen our beautiful trucks around town! The trucks are custom designed for making the relocation easier and simpler. They provide best quality service, be it an interstate, local or even international move. All type of storage services including short term and long term are available. Consult with one of our specialists to discover all your options to find which will work best for you.
With all these features, we also offer constant live customer support. The claims for theft, damage or loss can easily be registered. The highly professional team can help you in making the best of your move. The high quality services are also given at a very low cost compared to the market. As it is very difficult to find the best price for the most reliable moving services, choose Movers USA and have a smooth and stress-free relocation experience!