Ready to make your move to Philadelphia a lot easier? We are here to lessen some of the stress that comes with moving. We will provide some tips that would help with your move and also make your tranisiton into Philadelphia smoother.
One of the very beautiful cities in the United States, Philadelphia is also one of the largest cities. It is located in the state of Pennsylvania. It is also the fifth most populated city in the US. It is home to more than 7.2 million people and is growing at a tremendous rate!
Philadelphia is very famous for the rich history and heritage it has. The famous destinations for tourists include Independence Hall and Liberty Hall. With that, the city is home to some of the best and most prestigious educational institutions, historical buildings and research centers of the country. Some of the very famous institutions for arts and culture are also present in the city. Philadelphia Museum of Arts is among the largest museums present in the United States nowadays.
1. Moving Tips and Services
It can be very stressful to relocate to a whole new place. It is thus, very important for prospective movers to get advices and tips from experienced people who are familiar with moving in general and the town that you are moving to in particular. Some of the most important things to consider before moving to Philadelphia include:
- One of the most important tasks will be securing a moving company. You’ll want to research and choose a professional company at least a month prior. A good company will be able to give you helpful advice about how to better prepare for the move.
- Pack your boxes neatly, and have them labeled by contents and location of home where they belong. Professional moving companies will offer many packing service options if you need help. If you are packing yourself, it is important to use the best packing products for your belongings.
- Label and organize your boxes to make unpacking easier. By knowing roughly what the contents are, you’ll be able to place boxes in the correct rooms and locate necessary items quickly.
- Use the appropriate boxes for packing different types of items. For example, for breakables, dishes, glass wear, etc., a Dish Pack box is best. For books and other heavy objects, small boxes are best. It is recommended to use new, unused boxes for fragile items. Not using the right type of boxes can increase the chance of damages to your belongings.
- Make arrangements for small children and/or pets for during the move. Both can be sensitive to the commotion of a move and may benefit from being in a more relaxing environment.
- The city has a near perfect infrastructure which makes the whole process of relocation very easy. Philadelphia is loved by all and is the epitome of systematic automation. The traffic is smooth and clear most of the times except rush hours. Choose the right time for your relocation as the traffic can cause significant problems during rush hours.
- Take note of the season you relocate in. It is better to relocate during spring or autumn seasons - as the temperatures are moderate and the weather is comparatively pleasant.
- The summers in the city are very hot and humid. The months from May to September are not ideal for relocation. It is better to avoid moving in these months. Winters can also be very severe and cold - a heavy snowfall is a norm during the months of winter in Philadelphia.
- If possible, try to schedule moves in the middle of the month. Most homes are trying to reserve the last days, or, the first few days of the month for moving. If you can plan to move during a weekday and in the middle of the month, you may be able to save. Talk to your moving company representative to see how move date can help with saving.
- Prior to moving check the city website or contact the authorities to ask if you will need a parking permit. Especially if you are moving to a busy neighborhood.
2. Highways and public transport
The city has a systematic and organized infrastructure of roads, bridges and transport. There are sufficient ways to connect to other cities and other states in the US. The roads are well built and designed to create a network of connection to different states in the US. The Schuylkill Expressway runs along the river.
The famous network SEPTA is used for public transportation throughout the city. It provides transit via buses, trolleys and rails. The two huge airports present in Philadelphia include the Philadelphia International Airport and Northeast Philadelphia Airport. A very popular bus service network is Greyhound Lines. They deliver a high quality service which is operational 24/7.
Parking in philadelphia can be a challenge especially with narrow streets and the commotion of traffic. It is best to reserve a parking spot for the moving truck. Not reserving a parking spot can cause major delays to your move. You should visit Philadelphia’s parking authority website to apply for a parking permit.
Checking Philadelphia’s weather before your move can save you from any delays caused by mother nature. The weather of Philadelphia is not moderate. The summers can be very hot with high levels of humidity. On the other hand, the winters can be very cold with heavy snowfall. It is a wonderful city to live in and is perfect for everybody, but some people can’t adjust with the city’s weather. The weather is also unpredictable and every winter experiences a different sort of temperature.
There is a range of professional institutions available in the city. The rate of graduates and doctorate holders is constantly increasing. The city is among the top three with high numbers of students in the East Coast. The number of students enrolled in any graduate program exceeds 120,000. The University of Pennsylvania, which is also among the Ivy League, is present in the city - popular for being the oldest university in the US. The rate of graduates is constantly increasing and new educational institutions are being developed. Some of the famous universities include:
- Moore College of Art and Design
- Philadelphia University
- The Restaurant School at Walnut Hill College
- La Salle University
- Thomas Jefferson University
- Saint Joseph's University
- University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
- Community College of Philadelphia
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Adminstation verifies that any vehicle doing business from state to state is licensed and insured. Verifing that your moving company is insured gives you that piece of mind that if any of your valualbes are damaged you will be compensated and that your dealing with a legitiamte moving company.
The city has the mayor-council type of government. One mayor is elected for the duration of four years. Some of the rules for relocation in the city make it necessary to apply for a moving permit before actually moving to the city. The residents are required to pay 8% tax on the vehicle you own. A driver’s license is mandatory if you are relocating from another state. You can go to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles to apply for your driving license.
6. Cities and Metro area
The city has some of the most historical and diverse localities. There are a plenty of famous neighborhoods. An exceptional one is Old City which is located in Downtown, which has buildings as old as 300 years back and look amazing with a vibrant nightlife. Washington Square West is also another famous neighborhood popular for promoting LGBT events.
7. Cost of living
It is very important to evaluate all the possible living expenses before leaving for the city. Consider all the important factors that determine the lifestyle you will follow in Philadelphia.
It is a general estimation that the cost of living in Philadelphia is higher by 5.7% compared to the national average in the US.
The average salary in the city is not high and the unemployment rate is higher than 3% of the actual rate in the whole country. The cost of living in Philadelphia is constantly rising and the residents have struggled since long to make their ends meet. With the rising costs, standards of living are also going up. More people are going for higher and expensive education, struggling for best lifestyles and working hard to achieve them.
The real estate in the city is relatively expensive. However, there are some localities that offer cheaper housing schemes too. The general outlook shows that the life in Philadelphia is expensive and hard - but there are different choices available for people from different socio-economic backgrounds.
A range of public and private institutions are present in the city. The schools are mainly run by The School District of Philadelphia. The Philadelphia School District is also the 8th biggest school district with more than 145,000 students in 300 schools. There are almost 218 public schools and 86 charter schools.
Some of the famous high schools are:
- Masterman Julia R Secondary School
- Franklin Towne Charter High School
- Preparatory Cs Of Mathematics Science Tech And
- Central High School
- Creative And Performing Arts
- Carver High School
- Masterman Julia R Secondary School
- Mast Community Charter School
The top elementary schools include the Franklin S. Edmonds Elementary School, Laboratory Charter School, and Planet Abacus Charter School. The most highly ranked high schools in Philadelphia include Central High School, Academy at Palumbo and Julia R. Masterman Secondary School.
9. Media Outlets
The most popular historical spots like Liberty Bell are present in Philadelphia. The city has some of the most historical institutes of media and journalism. It is an ideal place to live in for history lovers. The city has a strong heritage.
To know more about the city and be in touch with the events and shows happening in the city - it is important to follow good sources of information. One of the most famous newspapers read by thousands of people is The Philadelphia Inquirer. The newspaper has been in operation since the year 1829 and has succeeded to become the third oldest newspaper present in the country today. With more than daily 300,000 readers, it is among the top 15 most read newspapers in the United States. The readership reaches up to 500,000 on Sundays and other holidays. The newspaper covers all the information related to sports, business, jobs, entertainment and local events coverage.
10. About Movers USA
With over three decades of experience and thousands of satisfy customers, Movers USA has proved its quality of services to be the best. The company has fully trained and experienced staff as well as state of the art trucks and moving equipment to accommodate any need that can arise during relocation. Movers USA provides services for relocation locally (within the city or state), long-distance (to another state over 150 miles) and international (moving to another country). We also can provide packing and unpacking services and we have a full service, climate control and secured storage facility to provide short term and long term storage services.
When you are moving your house to a new city, one of the things that can make the entire move easy and smooth is a professional moving company. Choosing an experienced and reliable relocation service provider can help you in a number of ways. Not only does it ensure that your furniture is well handled but it also provides you with consultation services in case of queries and emergencies. The right moving company will help you through the process and ease your mind about an upcoming relocation.
When it comes to local and long distance relocation, it is not always possible to relocate by yourself entirely and can lead to much stress and dissatisfaction. Movers USA makes sure that you receive the best service in this regard. With our decades of experience in moving, we make sure that the specific needs of every client are met. Our well trained and dedicated employees make sure that every piece of furniture in your home, as big as the antique piano you love or other major furniture are moved in the safest way and in the best of hands. Experience and quality is what sets us apart. We treat every move as if we were moving our own belongings.
Movers USA isn't just a relocation company but helps its clients in every way possible to make the move easily. They provide disassembly and reassembly service for furniture, personal certified moving consultants, and climate controlled storage units among others services, which lessens the burden for the client who already have a number of others things to look after during a relocation. We can help every step of the way, from providing expertise advice and guidance of every aspect of the moving process.
No matter what type of service you may need for relocation purposes - Movers USA can provide all of them. Rest assure that putting your belongings in Movers USA's hands, will give you the peace of mind to take care of what is more important - You and your family. Call us today for worry-free and hassle-free transition to your new home.