Moving to Chicago, Illinois can be an exciting endeavor! Chicago is the third largest city in the United States. Located in the state of Illinois, it is one of the most dynamic and active cities. There are many factors that you must know before relocating to Chicago. Some important factors include:
- Chicago is a wonderful place to meet new people. A variety of amusement parks, clubs, bars, restaurants, hotels, museums, galleries, salons and parlors are available in the city.
- On the whole, it is an amazing city with chances to meet people from diverse backgrounds. Regular meet ups are even scheduled for people having various interests. Music is the biggest local entertainment and regular events related to musical history are celebrated in the city. Hence, relocation to this city is a great choice. You will fall in love with this city in no time!
1. Moving services and tips
Some of the most important tips and techniques you should keep in mind before relocation to Chicago include:
- Due to the intensity of weather in the winters, most of the movers decide to move during the summers. The rise in demand can increase the prices as well and make it harder to relocate. Therefore, it is strongly recommended to move during the season of spring or autumn. These two seasons are ideal for moving as they have comparatively better weather with a small number of people relocating during this time.
- Plan your budget before moving. Since the job market in Chicago is fairly competitive and it’s not easy to get a well-paying job easily, plan your finances wisely before moving.
- Always do your research, check your mover with the department of transportation, the better business bureau and other state or local agencies. In MD you can contact the MMTA – Maryland motor truck association has data that can help determine if the mover you have selected is legit or not.
- Almost everyone has more items to move than they think they have. It is a good practice to see if there are items you can sell or get rid of before you move. You can save a lot by decluttering your home before the move or selling some of the items you are not using.
- During the move you may need to access certain items, therefor Movers USA recommends that you keep an “open me first” box. This will be the last box to go on the truck, and the first box to come off the truck. In this box we recommend putting all the important items: remote controls for the TV’s, Hardware for beds and tables Etc.
- For all moves, local or long distance moves we recommend keeping certain items with you: Eyeglasses, favorite kids toy, medical prescriptions, something to read, a couple of days’ worth of change of clothes, toothbrush and toothpaste.
2. Highways and public transport
If you are moving to the city for the first time and are new to the fast pace, you’ll want to familiarize yourself with the transit system. Chicago is a very fast city with extremely busy traffic hours. The most common mode of transportation is the public transport. The system of buses and trains connected to each other are known as “L Trains”. They are very easy and the fare is comparatively cheaper than most of the other transportation options. Other options for transportation include: cabs, bikes, personal cars and walking.
Biking has become very popular among the residents. A new bike sharing company called Divvy has started working in the city and developed many stations for renting a bike. Sharing a ride is also becoming a very common mode of transportation. Apps like Lyft and UbberX help in finding the right drivers for negotiations.
When planning a move to Chicago, Illinois you definitely want to take the weather into consideration. You will not want to plan a move in the winter if you have a choice. Please check here for the updated weather forecast. The weather of Chicago can become really cold. The temperature goes quite low and it is very important to take appropriate measures when moving to this city. Also, as many people are very sensitive to cold weather and get very sick when relocating, the key measures to surviving in cold weather is to dress appropriately and to always keep emergency materials such as boots, snowbrushes and umbrellas everywhere you go.
Moving to Chicago can bring a lot of opportunities as far as education goes. The governing body of all schools in the city is Chicago Public Schools which is also known as CPS. The schools in Chicago have one of the best educational standards in the United States. With exceptional schools, the city is also famous for other higher education institutes. Many programs of extensive research are carried out in different universities in Chicago. These universities are ranked constantly among the top ten universities in the United States. Some of the best universities present in Chicago include:
- North Park University
- Illinois Institute of Technology
- National Louis University
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- Loyola University Chicago
- Northwestern University
- University of Chicago
- School of the Art Institute of Chicago
Some other famous universities in Chicago include:
- Chicago State University
- Northeastern Illinois University
- East–West University
- DePaul University
- Adler School of Professional Psychology,
- Columbia College Chicago
- Robert Morris University
- Erikson Institute
- Roosevelt University
- Catholic Theological Union
- Saint Xavier University
- Rush University
Some of the best graduate and research theological schools in the city include:
- University of Chicago Divinity School
- Illinois Institute of Art
- Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
- The Chicago School of Professional Psychology
- The Institute for Clinical Social Work
Other than the best educational institutes, a number of libraries are also present in the city. Chicago Public Library system runs more than 70 public, regional and central libraries located in different areas of the city.
When it comes to moving to a new place, it is important to get every legal requirement in check including all the government-related things. You will need to register for a number of things and to ensure everything is settled in time, it is important to do first things first. When moving to Phoenix, you will need to take care of the following:
- Vehicle registration and a new driver’s license
- Voter registration
- If you need to check your movers for licensing click here.
- To check if your movers are pro movers click here.
With moving to a new city comes moving to a new political scene. It’s always a good idea to know who is in local office and procedures and policies. The government in the city is divided into legislative branches. The mayor, commissioners and government officials are appointed for the duration of four years through general election. The government is divided into departments with each having their own commissioners.
Some of the important departments include the Chicago Fire Department and Chicago Police Department. The government is responsible for managing state owned departments, fire protection agencies, public transportation system and the overall infrastructure in the city.
6. Cities / metro areas
Before choosing an area to move to, you may want to research some of the cities and metro areas. Check the metro guide here for more information on each of the different cities and backgrounds. Each neighborhood in Chicago has particular attractions and places to visit. The residents living in a neighborhood form a united community. There are different parks, places for amusements, and educational institutions famous in different areas of Chicago.
The North side of Chicago is a very happening place. Some of the most popular activities include: shopping, games and concerts. The West side offers various cultural influences and traditions. Many different restaurants of multiple ethnicities are also located here. Meanwhile, the South has its own attractions including museums and art galleries. It is an amazing place for food lovers too. The most famous cuisine includes beef sandwiches, hot dogs and pizzas. It is also an excellent place for shoppers.
7. Cost of living
The cost of living in the city is becoming more favorable for new residents who are relocating to the area. It has become more affordable than ever to buy the right home in Chicago. Every year, the price of homes is decreasing which makes it easier for newer buyers to approach the real estate market. It is a very lively city with lots of option for hanging around.
The prices for all the utilities including heating, water, electricity, garbage and internet connection are around $160 which is below the national average. The groceries come with a 2.25% sales tax included in Chicago.
Moving to Chicago, Illinois with small children who attend school will benefit from the excellent school system. You’ll want to find the school your child will be attending. For additional information, please check here for a list of schools and ratings. The standard of education in Chicago is one of the best present in United States. More than 600 elementary, high and magnate schools are present in the city. Northside College Preparatory High School is considered and has been ranked as the best school present in the city. The other top rated schools in the city include: Jones College Prep, Walter Payton College Prep High School, and M. Young Magnet High School.
A range of private schools are also operated in the city. Some of them include:
- Latin School of Chicago
- Francis W. Parker School
- Feltre School in River North
- Chicago High School for the Arts
- Lycée Français de Chicago
- Morgan Park Academy
- University of Chicago Laboratory Schools
- Ida Crown Jewish Academy
- Chicago Academy for the Arts
- The British School of Chicago
9. Media outlets
If you have been planning a move to Chicago for some time, you may already be familiar with some of the more popular media outlets and newspapers. Being an exceptionally lively city, regular events and new happenings are constantly taking place in Chicago. The metropolitan area of Chicago is among the top three largest markets for media publications in the States. Two of the widely famous newspapers in the city include the Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Sun-Times.
The Chicago Tribune
The Chicago Tribune is the most widely read newspaper in the city. It is owned by a company known as Tribune Publishing. It is also among the top ten most widely circulated newspapers in the United States. The history of the newspaper dates back to the 18th century when it was declared as the World’s Greatest Newspaper.
Chicago Sun Times
The Chicago Sun Times is the second most widely read newspaper in the city. The newspaper is owned by Sun-Times Media Group. It is the oldest constantly published newspaper in the city.
10. About Movers USA
When you are moving your house to a new city, one of the things that can make the entire move easy and smooth is a professional moving company. Choosing an experienced and reliable relocation service provider can help you in a number of ways. Not only does it ensure that your furniture is well handled but it also provides you with consultation services in case of queries and emergencies. The right moving company will help you through the process and ease your mind about an upcoming relocation.
When it comes to local and long distance relocation, it is not always possible to relocate by yourself entirely and can lead to much stress and dissatisfaction. Movers USA makes sure that you receive the best service in this regard. With our decades of experience in moving, we make sure that the specific needs of every client are met. Our well trained and dedicated employees make sure that every piece of furniture in your home, as big as the antique piano you love or other major furniture are moved in the safest way and in the best of hands. Experience and quality is what sets us apart. We treat every move as if we were moving our own belongings.
Movers USA isn't just a relocation company but helps its clients in every way possible to make the move easily. They provide disassembly and reassembly service for furniture, personal certified moving consultants, and climate controlled storage units among others services, which lessens the burden for the client who already have a number of others things to look after during a relocation. We can help every step of the way, from providing expertise advice and guidance of every aspect of the moving process.
We have the knowhow, the experience, and top of the line man power and equipment to make sure any move, of any size is done to the upmost of client satisfaction.