If you are moving to Austin, consider yourself lucky! Austin has a lot to offer in every regard. Austin is the capital of Texas State. It is ranked 11th among the most populous cities in the United States. It is very well known as the Live Music Capital of the World. The city has many unique features and is known for various things; from very hot summer weather to the extremely progressive IT field sector. Depending on the individual, relocating to Austin can be proven to be both beneficial and detrimental. Some points that should be taken in consideration before planning a move include:
1. Moving services and tips:
Austin is heaven for music lovers. There is live music every night of the week. If you are someone who lives for the music then Austin is definitely the city for you. Like all big plans though, moving to Austin also requires some preparations and arrangements. If you are considering relocating to Austin then following tips will be useful for you:
- The best time to move to Austin is during the pleasant weather in the month of November or December.
- Summers in Austin are very hot with humidity. It might not be the best time to move there.
- The streets of Austin get painstakingly crowded when they are hosting festivals. If you don’t want to get stuck in traffic for hours then try to avoid the festivals season.
- There will be rush hours. no matter how smartly you play it, you are bound to get stuck in Traffic, in Austin. So be prepared and have enough time in your hand so that you’ll make it to your new house on time.
- Pack up lots of sunscreen and summer clothes. You don’t want to sweat endlessly while waiting for the road to clear.
- If you have kids, make sure you hire help to help watch the kids on move day if possible. If you don’t have help feel free to visit our website and read about how to keep kids busy during a move.
- When shopping for a mover it is best to ask family or friends for a recommendation. If you are getting names online, it is important to research those movers with local agencies like better business bureau or the department of transportation.
2. Highways and public transport:
When you are in the process of relocating to Austin something to keep in mind is the traffic. Traffic can be a huge issue especially during rush hours. The traffic condition is specifically bad in the downtown area. The main mode of public transportation is through bus. Other than this, a metro service known as Capital MetroRail is also used. It is affordable and well scheduled with free wifi services. The two highways nearby, known as North and South Highways face traffic woes as well.
The city of Austin also has a unique mode of transportation called Car2Go. They are small and tiny cars; people can pick them up and leave it anywhere. They don’t have to return it. Another alternative of travelling in Austin is Bicycling. The bike share system is most commonly used method in Austin where Bikes are places all around the downtown area for use. Austin is known for being bike-friendly.
It’s best to plan your move in the early spring or late fall to avoid the hottest months. The weather in Austin is usually very hot in summer. It is not just hot but also very humid. The temperature can even cross 100 degrees in the months of May and September. Austin suffers from subtropical hot summers. However winters in Austin are mid and pleasant with 1 inch of snow falls. The city gets 33 inches of rain in a year. The hottest month of the year is usually July for the residents of Austin. All in all the city of Austin experiences 228 sunny days, with some as hot as 100° degrees and some as low as 40 °
Austin is known for its focus on quality education. This is an important fact for parents or young couples moving to the area. The total number of schools that are part of Austin Independent School District (AISD) is 123. Out of the 123 schools, 23 have received the highest possible ratings.
Other than schools, Austin is also known for its comparatively cheaper and quality education. The city is especially popular among international students. A highly esteemed institution University of Texas is one of the reasons for the undeniable popularity of the city. It is ranked among the top 13 universities in the US. The school offers best quality of education in Business, Engineering, Education and Law undergrad and graduate programs.
Moving to a new location can be made easier with the right kind of preparation. Familiarizing yourself with the local community is a great way to start. The administration of Austin consists of an 11 member’s council. 10 members are representatives of the geographic districts and the 11th member is the mayor. The law enforcement department in Austin is managed by the Austin Police Department whereas government buildings are guarded by Texas Department of Public Safety. Austin Fire department is responsible for providing fire safety within the city.
The government of Austin takes the safety of their residents very seriously. Following are the public services provided by the government:
- Animal Services Office
- Austin 3-1-1
- Austin Code
- Austin Energy
- Austin Convention Center
- Austin Resource Recovery (formerly Solid Waste Services)
- Austin Public Libraries
- Austin/Travis County Emergency Medical Services
- Austin Water Utility
- Austin-Bergstrom International Airport
- Austin/Travis County Health and Human Services
- Capital Contracting Office
- City Clerk
- Capital Planning Office
- City Manager
- City Boards and Commissions
- Communications and Public Information Office
- City Council
- Community Court
- Communications and Technology Management
- City Auditor
- Development Services Department
- Economic Development Department
- Financial Services
- Fire Department
- Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Human Resources
- Law Department
- Municipal Civil Service Office
- Municipal Court
- Office of the Medical Director
- Office of the Police Monitor
- Office of Real Estate Services
- Office of Sustainability
- Parks and Recreation
- Planning and Zoning
- Police Department
- Public Works
- Purchasing Office
- Small and Minority Business Resources
- Telecommunications and Regulatory Affairs
- Watershed Protection
6. Cities / metro areas:
When you move to Austin, you’ll discover it is an easy city to navigate. Compared to other cities in Texas, Austin is a relatively smaller city with less number of neighborhoods. Austin specially seems smaller to those shifting from bigger cities. Nonetheless, it is a metropolitan city with huge number of corporations and businesses operating locally. The localities also vary in terms of cost and real estate prices.
7. Cost of living:
If you are moving to Austin, you may need to compare the cost of living compared to other areas. The cost of living in Austin is much higher if compared to other cities in Texas. But, the cost of living in Texas overall, is much lower than other states in the United States. Living in Austin is especially good for IT professionals. The people in the technology field get high paying jobs very easily. There is a huge demand for software engineers and network administrators. One of the leading employers in the city is Dell Computers. There are plenty of job opportunities for business and finance graduates as well.
The city of Austin is known for its association with music. It is a general concept that this city is best suited to musicians. There is a variety of musical shows, concerts and programs taking place in the city regularly.
No doubt this will be an important part of your move if you are moving with children in school. There are 29 different school districts in Austin. The residents can choose from among 17 charter schools and 69 private schools. Check the listing and ratings here. Majority of the schools in the city are served by Austin Independent School District. One of the major sources of Austin crowd and festival reputation is because it is a college town with one of the biggest university in it. The university of Texas is situated in Austin and have 38,000 undergraduates enrolled with 12,000 graduates every year. Following are some of the schools in Austin:
- Austin Community College
- Concordia University,
- Huston-Tillotson University
- Austin Graduate School of Theology
- The Art Institute of Austin.
- Edward's University
- Seminary of the Southwest
- Acton School of Business
- Texas Health and Science University
- Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary
- Virginia College's Austin Campus
- Southern Careers Institute of Austin
- Austin Conservatory
- Park University.
- Regents School of Austin
- Redeemer Lutheran School
- Austin Peace Academy
- Austin Jewish Academy
- Austin Peace Academy
- The Austin School for the Performing and Visual Arts
- The Austin Waldorf School
- The Griffin School,
- The Khabele School
- Concordia Academy
- Kirby Hall School
- Ignatius Martyr Catholic School,
- Holy Family Catholic School,
- San Juan Diego Catholic High School,
- Brentwood Christian School,
- Renaissance Academy,
- Austin Catholic School,
- Francis School,
- Stephen's Episcopal School,
- Michael's Catholic Academy,
- Gabriel's Catholic School,
- Andrew's Episcopal School,
- Francis Episcopal School,
- Paul Lutheran School,
- Trinity Episcopal School,
- Cleaview Sudbury School,
- Inside Outside School,
- Liberal Arts and Science Academy High School of Austin
- The Ann Richards School for Young Women Leaders.
9. Media outlets:
To get to know all about Austin’s local news and the recent happenings, the residents have various sources in the form of print publication. The most widely read newspaper in Austin however is Austin American-Statesman. This newspaper has a daily circulation of about 125,000 copies. Other sources of local news are:
- The Austin Chronicles
- The Daily Texan
- Austin Business Journal
- Oak Hill Gazette
- The Texas Observer
10. About Movers USA:
Austin Texas is the capital of live music in America. This high tech and fun filled city of Texas has a lot to offer to its residents. If you are considering moving there then better plan your trip now and hire reliable and professional movers to get the job done.
With more than 3 decades of on hand experience, Movers USA is surely the best professional choice you can make when it comes to relocation. We specialize in taking away all your worries and stresses related to relocation and work with you to create a smooth moving plan for you! Be it within town, outside the state or even country, Movers USA will surely deliver the best.
The staff at Movers USA is experienced and qualified to handle any type of move. We are known for giving top quality service and having the best teams in town. Our guys will be able to handle any challenge efficiently and we always take the furthest precaution in caring for your items.
From our know-how to the top of the line moving equipment that we use, your items will be in good hands.
Movers USA have well-maintained and high quality trucks. You may have even seen our beautiful trucks around town! The trucks are custom designed for making the relocation easier and simpler. They provide best quality service, be it an interstate, local or even international move. All type of storage services including short term and long term are available. Consult with one of our specialists to discover all your options to find which will work best for you.
With all these features, we also offer constant live customer support. The claims for theft, damage or loss can easily be registered. The highly professional team can help you in making the best of your move. The high quality services are also given at a very low cost compared to the market. As it is very difficult to find the best price for the most reliable moving services, choose Movers USA and have a smooth and stress-free relocation experience!